September 8th, the day after Labor Day and my very first day of school!
Ok, so it’s not actually my first day of school… but it is for thousands of students across the country! Attending new classes, preparing themselves for the wonderful opportunities that await them. For me this is no different, it is going to be an awesome year of adapting to changes.
As many of my friends and co-workers know, I am a huge fan of lists. Lists allow me to organize my life, keep promises, and most importantly lay out responsibilities in a manageable way. This year I have once again implemented a List of Lists to organize my life; however this year I’ve added an important “Sanity Items” section. This is intended to keep my commitments realistic. In the past I have started allegorical forest fires from all my two ended burning candles. That is not a sustainable juggling act. Everything was always so rushed I rarely had time to enjoy what wonderful things are right outside my back door. By setting up a schedule that matches a typical 40-hr/week job, I am hoping to create benchmarks at which I can reward myself in the form of “Free Time.”
With the conclusion of the first week of classes, so far so good. My homework assignments are done days in advance and my training log is finally getting back on track with my goals. It feels like it’s going to be a good year, hopefully the lists can keep up the good work!
- Pull high vis fall training clothes out from the depths of the closet
- Get training calendar from the Michigan Tech Nordic Team
- Confirm with coaches that I can join their workouts
- Update training log
- Share new entries with coaches
- Input anticipated workouts for the week
- Work on new blog posts (yay!)
- Do awesome workouts each day
- Share pictures with CXC
- Morning strength
- Complete with post-workout sunrise viewing!
- Meet with Graduate Adviser to confirm graduation requirements
- Order textbooks and building codes
- Perform the world record 100yd dash to the mailbox upon delivery confirmation
- Find leftover notebooks/binders from last year
- Go office supplies shopping for any remaining items
- Meticulously color code, highlight and tab out class notes
- Make food for the week
- Cinnamon Rolls
- Ice Cream
- Do some studying with a view
- Balance the equation: Skiing+School+Work+Life=Happiness
- Develop a schedule that includes free time
- Try not to procrastinate
- Don’t overbook yourself!
- Go Fly Fishing!
- Start a Kitchen Dance Party
- Sleep in a tent
Happiness is Paramount.